While working in the campus writing center at Southwestern University,
I found that most students were ill-prepared for the rigors of college-level writing. These sessions are designed to develop post-secondary
writing competency by building skills in two key areas:
- how to construct clear, logical arguments through analyzing essays
written by respected authors.
- how to maximize the writing process to improve creative thinking and
- how to find and extract evidence/points from good sources.
- how to create content using the writer's toolbox.
- how to build an academic vocabulary.
- twelve lessons cover all necessary topics to obtain the clear
understanding of grammatically correct writing necessary to succeed
- Topics include simple and complex sentences; phrases, clauses, and modifiers;
comma, colon, and dash usage; verb tense, mood, and voice;
possessive nouns and pronouns; parallelism etc.
Scheduling An Appointment
Sessions may be sheduled at the desired frequency, though once per week
is recommended. Tutoring is considered complete when the student is able
to write a clear, coherent, well-researched essay about a post-secondary
text or topic without assistance.